HOW TO REGISTER MY BUSINESS AND, IF APPLICABLE, APPLY FOR A BUSINESS LICENCE
- To register your business, there are two steps you need to follow.
- First, you need to go to http://www.cipc.co.za to apply for your business name and what type of business you want to run.
- Second, you need to go to https://www.sars.gov.za to apply for a tax number for your business with some of the required supporting documents being the documents you are issued by the CIPC from step a.
- Depending on the type of business you are running, you might also need to apply for a business licence (this is different to registering your business in step 1). To find out if your business needs a licence, visit https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/201505/act-71-1991.pdf (Specifically Schedule 1, found on page 16 onwards). If you find that you do need to apply for one, you can find this application form on your local municipality website.
- If you are selling food, you also need to apply for a certificate of acceptability. This entails a health inspector coming to inspect the premises in which you wish to sell your food and to verify that your food is safe to sell for consumption. You will receive a certificate once this process is completed. You can find this application form on your local municipality website.
- If you are selling liquor, a licence for that is also needed. This too may be applied for through your local municipality and once the process is completed, you will receive a licence to start selling.